Skip to main content

Short Story: Tweet Relief

I think the difference between being a kid and being an adult is the position from which you view the sky.  It's  odd that thought would float through my mind right now.  I always wanted my final thoughts to be stirring, emotional or somehow life affirming.  Instead, the only thing I can think about is how much bigger the world feels when you view the sky from your back.

10 minutes prior, none of this was on my mind.  I was thinking about tweeting vaguely partisan sentiments about a recent stump speech I'd caught part of.  It seemed paramount to make my voice heard on this subject.  After all, 300 followers were probably patiently waiting to see where I'd come down on the issues. Oh yes, I'm that important.  I pictured 300 people patiently waiting, phones lifted to glassy eyes.  The blue glare from monitors reflecting off hundreds of neck-beards the nation over.  I picked up my phone.

It's not really that hard to use your phone while you're driving.  That's what God made knees for.  I've been doing this for 15 years.  It's not my first time steering a car with my knees.  It's not my first time doing a lot of things I'm doing right now.  Listening to a band nobody's ever heard of, thinking I'm cool, dangling a cigarette out my window....it's routine.  Depressing, but routine.

Somewhere between wondering how to organize the image of Clint Eastwood standing in his yard yelling, "GET OFF MY LAWN," to his lawn-chairs into 140 characters and hitting the shuffle button on my iPad, I glance up.  I let out half a laugh as I realize that it's true what they say.  Your life really does flash before your eyes.  Mainly the parts you're super ashamed of.  That magazine you found in your Uncle's garage, the horrible things you said behind your sister's back, the resume you lied through your teeth on.  It's all there.

Doing a flip on a trampoline is way, way different than doing a flip inside of a 1,883 pound automobile.  However, the feeling in the pit of your stomach is exactly the same.  Being flung out a broken window is no picnic, but then a lot of picnics are terrible affairs anyway.  The ground is hot, but wet.  The smell of old road tar washes up at me.  I'll probably never smell it again.  I guess that's a plus.

The world feels a lot bigger when you're looking at the sky from your back.  In my peripheral view, what's left of it going gray, I see you.  I wonder if you would have laughed.  Probably.  Clint Eastwood is a funny guy, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've got your number Credit Yes dot com

Okay so this morning I heard this commercial for credit yes dawt cawm. Stupidest ever. What's the most powerful word in the English language? The answer: Yes. Will I live in a big house? YES! Will I have lot's of money? YES! Will I own a nice car? YES! I can only assume that by "yes" they really meant, "possibly, it depends on how hard you're willing to work for it and what God has in store for you." You see, their logic falls apart as soon as I ask the question, "Will credit yes dot com stop making stupid retarded commercials?" The answer is, "There's not a chance in hell."

Here's what get's me. I get the motivation behind these spots. They are SO annoying that you literally cannot help but think about them. It probably works way more than making a good commercial, which is an art. However, not everyone appreciates art and art is very subjective anyway. Annoying, on the other hand, is something that everyon…

Thankswhat?

Okay internet friends, I'm sure most of you know by now that thanksgiving holiday is nearly upon us. Like a beast from the depths it rises up, consuming the wooden ships of our pocketbooks. Like the great Krakken, it's tentacles of turkey en-wrap my innards with their tasty goodness. The great white mash potato shark eagerly gulps down the last remaining survivors of my will power. I am once again looking forward to being nearly crushed under my own massive weight after another feeding frenzy.

It's at this point that I'd like to make the announcment that I am starting a new holiday to compete with this yearly juggernaut of gravy and meat. I am calling it "Thankstaking." If you read that quickly it looks kind of like thanks stalking, which we'll get to later. I'm tired of the endless parade of people sucking up to each other, thanking each other for each menial deed done over the course of the year. If there's one thing I hate, it's a br…

This is important

I'm learning a lot of things and having a lot of things thrown at me as I start my own business.  I thought I would write about the most important lesson I've learned so far.

You cannot succeed, truly succeed, in life/business whatever, without the support of your wife.  If you're spending all your waking time trying to make a business work and your wife isn't 100% behind you, you're headed for failure.  Plain and simple.

Now, I'm writing this from the perspective of a human male, with a wife, but I'm sure the operation is the same if reversed.  Ladies, if you're considering a field to buy it, and your husband isn't behind the purchase with you, chances are that purchase is going to create some strife.

What I'm talking about here seems pretty common sense.  However, I think we assume it's common sense and don't think about it as much as we should.

If I am going to commit to making a business successful and profitable, I've got to h…