Skip to main content

What are you remembering on Memorial Day?

As I sit here at the end of Memorial Day, at the Portland International Airport, listening to drunken frat bro's talk about the posteriors of passing maidens, my mind can't help but wander to actions of military service men and women in the world's wars over the  yyears.  Don't ask me how it correlates, because it just doesn't.

I am remembering the stories of my Grandpa Prentice, and how he was put on trial for his life in front of a military tribunal for desertion during wartime.  His crime?  He went awol while saving the family farm from a blood sucking lawyer who was trying to fleece my great grandmother.  Not only was he acquitted, he ended up knocking out the guard who spat in his food while he was in the brig.  He received the purple heart after being wounded when the ammunition ship he was on was dive bombed by a Kamikaze.

Now as I listen to the bearded hipsters behind me talk of pabst blue ribbon, Bon Iver, and rolling their own cigarettes, I'm reminded of the story that Sgt. David Spears fooled me into believing when we were kids.  He told me, with a complete straight face, how his grandfather singlehandedly knocked a Nazi plane out of the sky with nothing but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Physics told my 9 year old brain this was impossible, but my brain told physics to go straight to hell.  David's Grandfather was a hero, but not for that reason.  No matter how awesome that story would have been.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.  Go hug a vet.  For real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've got your number Credit Yes dot com

Okay so this morning I heard this commercial for credit yes dawt cawm. Stupidest ever. What's the most powerful word in the English language? The answer: Yes. Will I live in a big house? YES! Will I have lot's of money? YES! Will I own a nice car? YES! I can only assume that by "yes" they really meant, "possibly, it depends on how hard you're willing to work for it and what God has in store for you." You see, their logic falls apart as soon as I ask the question, "Will credit yes dot com stop making stupid retarded commercials?" The answer is, "There's not a chance in hell."

Here's what get's me. I get the motivation behind these spots. They are SO annoying that you literally cannot help but think about them. It probably works way more than making a good commercial, which is an art. However, not everyone appreciates art and art is very subjective anyway. Annoying, on the other hand, is something that everyon…

This is important

I'm learning a lot of things and having a lot of things thrown at me as I start my own business.  I thought I would write about the most important lesson I've learned so far.

You cannot succeed, truly succeed, in life/business whatever, without the support of your wife.  If you're spending all your waking time trying to make a business work and your wife isn't 100% behind you, you're headed for failure.  Plain and simple.

Now, I'm writing this from the perspective of a human male, with a wife, but I'm sure the operation is the same if reversed.  Ladies, if you're considering a field to buy it, and your husband isn't behind the purchase with you, chances are that purchase is going to create some strife.

What I'm talking about here seems pretty common sense.  However, I think we assume it's common sense and don't think about it as much as we should.

If I am going to commit to making a business successful and profitable, I've got to h…

Thankswhat?

Okay internet friends, I'm sure most of you know by now that thanksgiving holiday is nearly upon us. Like a beast from the depths it rises up, consuming the wooden ships of our pocketbooks. Like the great Krakken, it's tentacles of turkey en-wrap my innards with their tasty goodness. The great white mash potato shark eagerly gulps down the last remaining survivors of my will power. I am once again looking forward to being nearly crushed under my own massive weight after another feeding frenzy.

It's at this point that I'd like to make the announcment that I am starting a new holiday to compete with this yearly juggernaut of gravy and meat. I am calling it "Thankstaking." If you read that quickly it looks kind of like thanks stalking, which we'll get to later. I'm tired of the endless parade of people sucking up to each other, thanking each other for each menial deed done over the course of the year. If there's one thing I hate, it's a br…